Prof. James Goh Cho Hong, Head
PhD (1982), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
B.Sc (Hons) (1982), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
CEng (1993), The Engineering Council, UK
Research Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, NUS
Program Leader, Tissue Engineering Program, Life Sciences Institute, NUS
Member, Biomedical Standards Committee, Spring Singapore
President, Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore).
Vice-President, International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering .
Council Member, World Council of Biomechanics.
Secretary General, Asia-Pacific Association for Biomechanics.
Treasurer, Executive Council, World Association for Chinese Biomedical Engineers.
Secretary, TERMIS Asian Pacific Chapter
Chairman, Organising Committee, TERMIS-AP 2011, August 3 to 5, 2011, Singapore.
Office: Block E4-08
Contact our Departmental Secretary at:
1. Tri-phasic silk/stem cell-based bone-ligament-bone construct in the repair of medial collateral ligament in rabbits. NMRC grant (2008-2010) PI: JCH Goh; Co:PIs: SL Toh, JHP Hui.
2. Development of a fundamental tissue-engineered bone-ligament-bone graft with novel fixation device to bone tunnels for ACL reconstruction. BMRC grant (2008-2011) PI: JCH Goh; Co:PIs: SL Toh, EH Lee, PH Too.
3. Functionalization of bioresorbable poly epsilon caprolactone 20% tricalcium phosphate cage devices to enhance delivery of biological factors in interbody spine fusion. BMRC grant (2010-2013) PI: HK Wong; Co-PIs JCH Goh, S Cool, K Bhakoo
4. A novel hybrid bioscaffold for spinal fusion. A*STAR JCO (2010-2013) PI: S Cool; Co-PIs HK Wong, JCH Goh. K Bhakoo, I Gibson
5. Silk Sleeve Device for Improving the Graft Bonding at the Bone Tunnel. SERC-BEP (2011-2012). PIs: JCH Goh and JHP Hui, J Li
6. Development of Novel Yolk-Shell Nanoparticle Based Moldable Putty for Surgery. SERC-BEP (2011-2012). PIs: JCH Goh and HK Wong, J Li, Y Zhang
1. Sahoo S, LT Ang, JCH Goh and SL Toh, "Growth Factor Delivery through Electrospun Nanofibres in Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Applications".) J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010 Jun 15;93(4):1539-1550. (United States).
2. Sahoo S, SL Toh and JCH Goh, "A bFGF-releasing silk/PLGA-based biohybrid scaffold for ligament/tendon tissue engineering using mesenchymal progenitor cells". Biomaterials, 31, no. 11 (2010): 2990-98. (United Kingdom).
3. See Y, SL Toh and JCH Goh, "Multilineage Potential of Bone-Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Cell Sheets: Implications for Tissue Engineering." Tissue Eng Part A. 2010 Apr;16(4):1421-1431. (United States).
4. Yeow CH, Ng YH, Lee PV, Goh JCH; Tibial cartilage damage and deformation at peak displacement compression during simulated landing impact. Am J Sports Med. 2010 Apr; 38(4):816-823.
5. Nayak BP, Goh JCH, Toh SL, Satpathy GR; In vitro study of stem cell communication via gap junctions for fibrocartilage regeneration at entheses. Regen Med. 2010 Mar; 5(2):221-229.
6. Yeow CH, Lee PV, Goh JCH. Extent and distribution of tibial osteochondral disruption during simulated landing impact with axial tibial rotation restraint. Journal of Biomechanics 2010 Jul 20; 43(10):2010- 2016.
7. Sahoo S, Lee WC, Goh JCH, Toh SL; Bio-electrospraying: A potentially safe technique for delivering progenitor cells. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2010 Jul 1;106(4):690-698.
8. Sahoo S, Toh SL, Goh JC; PLGA nanofiber-coated silk microfibrous scaffold for connective tissue engineering. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010 Oct; 95(1):19-28.
9. Hee H. T., H. D. Ismail, C. T. Lim, J. C. H. Goh, H. K. Wong, Effects of implantation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells, disc distraction and combined therapy on reversing degeneration of the intervertebral disc. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - British Volume, 2010 Vol 92-B, Issue 5, 726-736.
10. Yap LY, Li J, Phang IY, Ong LT, Ow JZ, Goh JC, Nurcombe V, Hobley J, Choo AB, Oh SK, Cool SM, Birch WR; Defining a threshold surface density of vitronectin for the stable expansion of human embryonic stem cells. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2011 Feb; 17(2):193-207.
11. Abbah SA, Lam CX, Ramruttun KA, Goh JC, Wong HK; Autogenous Bone Marrow Stromal Cell Sheets-Loaded mPCL/TCP Scaffolds Induced Osteogenesis in a Porcine Model of Spinal Interbody Fusion. Tissue Eng Part A. 2011 Mar; 17(5-6):809-817.
12. Yeow CH, WL Gan, Lee PV, Goh JC. Effect of an anterior-sloped brace joint on anterior tibial translation and axial tibial rotation: a motion analysis study. Clinical Biomechanics, 2011 Dec; 25 (10): 1025-1030
|Selected Invited Papers at International Meetings|
1. Invited Speaker: Goh JCH, S Sahoo. Functionalized Biomimetic Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering. WCU International Symposium, October 5 to 6, 2009, South Korea.
2. Plenary Speaker: Goh JCH. Biomechanics of the Knee during landing. 6th World Congress of Biomechanics, August 1 - 6, 2010, Singapore
3. Plenary Lecture: Goh JCH. Multiscale Engineering Solutions for Biomedicine. 6th Thailand Materials Science and Technology Conference (MSAT-6) August 26-27, 2010, Miracle Grand Convention Hotel, Bangkok
4. Special Lecture: Goh JCH. Stem cell in cartilage and ligament tissue engineering. 16th Triennial Congress of Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association (APOA) and 59th Annual Meeting of Taiwan Orthopedic Association (TOA), September 6-10, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan
5. Plenary Lecture: Goh JCH. Regenerative Medicine: Beyond Cells, Scaffolds and Growth Factors. Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society 2010 Asia Pacific meeting (TERMIS AP 2010). Sheraton on The Park, 15 - 17 September 2010, Sydney, Australia
6. Invited Speaker: Goh JCH, S Sahoo. The Next Challenge in Ligament Tissue Engineering. 2010 International symposium of Materials on Regenerative Medicine (2010 ISOMRM), November 3-5, 2010, Zhunan, Taiwan
7. Invited Speaker: Goh JCH. Biomechanics. Nordic-Baltic Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering, 14th - 16th June 2011, Aalborg, Denmark
8. Invited Speaker: Goh JCH, HK Wong, S Abbah, EYS See, SL Toh. Tissue Engineering Approaches to the treatment of Spinal Disorders. BioMed 2011 - 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering, 20 - 23 June 2011, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9. Invited Speaker: Goh JCH, T Teh. Physical Stimulus In Tissue Regeneration. 5th WACBE World Congress on Bioengineering, 18-21 August 2011, Tainan, Taiwan.
10. Invited Symposium Speaker: Goh JCH, SL Toh. Bioengineering Education @ NUS: A Design-Centered Curriculum. 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 30th August to 3rd Sept, 2011, Boston, USA
Research Award and Prizes
1. Albert Trillat Young Investigator's Award (2005), International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS).. Title: Mechanical properties of articular cartilage covered by the meniscus." Authors: A Thambyah, A Nather, JCH Goh.
2. Outstanding Paper Award. 12th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Singapore, 7-10 Dec 2005. Title: €˜Optimization of polymer scaffolds for tendon and ligament tissue engineering. Authors: Sahoo S, JCH Goh, TE Tay, BKP Nayak, SL Toh.
3. Honorable Mention Award. The Asian Wall Street Journal's Asian Innovation Awards. 27 Sep 2005. Title: Direct Pressure Cast Prosthetic Socket System. Inventor: Goh JCH, PVS Lee.
4. Gold Medal Award (Postgraduate Category). Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore) 4th Scientific Meeting 2007. Title: Mechanism of anterior cruciate ligament failure during impact compression of the knee joint. Authors: Yeow CH, KS Ng, C. Cheong, PVS Lee, JCH. Goh.